12:43:54 From Namita Wiggers to Everyone : Like toddlers but adults? 12:44:06 From Namita Wiggers to Everyone : i mean that with fun respect and love 12:44:34 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to American Craft Council(Direct Message) : https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nM4l4Pn7OLzRCyo_D7byuMpksenyOJkX?usp=sharing 13:03:20 From iPhone to Everyone : Is there sound yet? I’m on a phone 13:06:59 From Kelli Johnson to American Craft Council(Direct Message) : Use plural when talking about the names of indigenous peoples: Lakotas, Dakotas, Ojibwes. In English, we use singular for animals (deer, fish, moose), not for people. 13:10:25 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to Everyone : The full bio for Namita is here! Namita Gupta Wiggers is a writer, curator, and educator based in Portland, Oregon. She is the founding director of the MA in Critical Craft Studies, Warren Wilson College, the first and only low-residency program focused on craft histories and theory. With faculty and students in multiple time zones, Wiggers maintains that understanding context and the specificity of place impacts craft practice, research, teaching, and learning. She co-founded and leads Critical Craft Forum since 2008. From 2004–12, Wiggers served as the curator, and from 2012–14 as chief curator/director of the Museum of Contemporary Craft, in partnership with PNCA, Portland, Oregon, where she developed methods to exhibit and document contemporary and historical craft, doubled the collection holdings, and developed public programs and collaborative partnerships. Like curating, her approach to research involves sorting through multiple questions at once and making connections across cultures and ideas that ar 13:10:37 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to Everyone : Like curating, her approach to research involves sorting through multiple questions at once and making connections across cultures and ideas that aren’t immediately obvious. This leads to more questions and opens space for others to take the conversation further. This bio is adapted from one written by students in the MA in Critical Craft Studies program, Class of 2021. @namitapdx, @macraftstudieswwc, @criticalcraftforum ; www.macraftstudieswwc.com, www.criticalcraftforum.com 13:12:39 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to Everyone : More on Building a Craftscape: https://www.macraftstudieswwc.com/craftscapewebinar 13:13:31 From American Craft Council to Rachel Messerich (she/her)(Direct Message) : Sent by Kelli Johnson .. Use plural when talking about the names of indigenous peoples: Lakotas, Dakotas, Ojibwes. In English, we use singular for animals (deer, fish, moose), not for people. 13:14:21 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to Everyone : Born in Ciudad Juarez, Chihuahua, Mexico, Andres Payan Estrada currently lives and works in Los Angeles. An artist and curator whose practice focuses on issues revolving around contemporary craft along with material and object practices with a focus on ceramics. He is currently the curator of public engagement at Craft Contemporary and recently served as special visiting art faculty at the California Institute of the Arts. https://andrespayan.com/ | @andres_payan 13:14:32 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to Everyone : What do you wish people would say when they introduce you that doesn’t get said? That I grew up in Mexico! I feel like it is such an important part of the way that I think, who I am and my practice as an artist, curator, educator, and all the other things that I do! 13:15:35 From Menokin _Alice French to Everyone : Like curating, her approach to research involves sorting through multiple questions at once and making connections across cultures and ideas that aren’t immediately obvious. This leads to more questions and opens space for others to take the conversation further. This bio is adapted from one written by students in the MA in Critical Craft Studies program, Class of 2021. @namitapdx, @macraftstudieswwc, @criticalcraftforum ; www.macraftstudieswwc.com, www.criticalcraftforum.com 13:15:44 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to American Craft Council(Direct Message) : Please tell Kelli thank you for noting that and I will adjust future acknowledgements accordingly. 13:16:17 From American Craft Council to Kelli Johnson(Direct Message) : Hi Kelli, thank you for noting that. We will adjust future acknowledgements accordingly. 13:16:36 From Kelli Johnson to American Craft Council(Direct Message) : That's wonderful! Thank you! 13:18:53 From American Craft Council to Rachel Messerich (she/her)(Direct Message) : Kelli said That's wonderful! Thank you! 13:19:18 From jeanne flint to Everyone : So happy to be here with everyone this afternoon! 13:20:27 From Lys Santamaria (she/her) to Everyone : Wow, this is poetry! 13:21:08 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to Everyone : Thank you so much, Andres!!! 13:21:10 From Sarah Kass to Everyone : Thank you! 13:21:11 From Keren Lowell to Everyone : Thank you Andres! 13:21:17 From Tiffany Momon to Everyone : Beautiful 13:21:27 From Laura Petrovich-Cheney (she/her) to Everyone : so thoughtful and beautiful! 13:21:31 From Sarah Kelly to Everyone : Lovely! 13:21:39 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to Everyone : Welcome to Dr. Tiffany Momon! Dr. Tiffany Momon is a public historian and Assistant Professor at Sewanee: The University of the South, and founder and co-director of the Black Craftspeople Digital Archive (blackcraftspeople.org), a black digital humanities project that centers black craftspeople, their lives, and their contributions to the making and building of America. Throughout her career, Momon has lectured on the subject of black craftspeople at organizations such as the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation, the Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts, and others. https://blackcraftspeople.org/ | @tmomonhp 13:21:53 From Courtney M Leonard (she/her) to Everyone : Beautiful, Tábūtní! 13:21:55 From R E to Everyone : Bravo Andres! 13:22:00 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to Everyone : What do you wish people would say when they introduce you that doesn’t get said? Probably that I'm from Memphis, TN. Memphis influences everything that I do. I am always looking at the world through the lens of Memphis because so much happened there that significantly impacted Black life. Memphis was home to Black people like Ida B. Wells, MLK Jr. was assassinated there, Black blues music and soul music both have Memphis roots and connections. When you're in Memphis you can pretty much feel Black culture bubbling up through cracks in the concrete. 13:23:57 From Cynthia to Everyone : Thank you, Andres! 13:28:21 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to Everyone : The Black Craftspeople Digital Archive: https://blackcraftspeople.org/ 13:30:13 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to Everyone : Thank you so much, Tiffany!!! 13:30:14 From Laura Petrovich-Cheney (she/her) to Everyone : LOVE your work!!! 13:30:24 From Laura Petrovich-Cheney (she/her) to Everyone : Thank you for sharing!!!!!!!! 13:30:30 From Michelle Millar Fisher to Everyone : I so, so enjoyed that history 13:30:35 From R E to Everyone : Thank you! 13:30:36 From American Craft Council to Tiffany Momon(Direct Message) : Sorry, I clicked that quick 13:30:38 From Courtney M Leonard (she/her) to Everyone : Wonderful, Tábūtní! 13:30:48 From American Craft Council to Tiffany Momon(Direct Message) : You're welcome to be on camera if you like for her extro 13:30:52 From Keren Lowell to Everyone : Thank you so much, Tiffany. What a wonderful excavation of a place and the people who brought it into existence. 13:30:59 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to Everyone : Jovencio de la Paz is an artist, weaver, and educator working at the intersection of digital technologies and traditional floor loom weaving. They are an Assistant Professor and Head of Fibers at the University of Oregon in Eugene, Oregon, and an Ordained Priest and Monk in the Soto Zen Buddhist lineage. https://jovenciodelapaz.org/ | @jovenciodelapaz What do you wish people would say when they introduce you that doesn’t get said? Jovencio de la Paz is an immigrant, and a queer, non-binary artists of Chinese, Filipino, and South Asian descent. 13:31:02 From Helen Lee to Everyone : 👏 13:31:16 From Bren Ahearn to Everyone : Brava Tiffany! That was an inspiring presentation! 13:32:13 From Jean McLaughlin to Everyone : Tiffany- your work is so important and your storytelling powerful! Thank you. 13:32:53 From Shavon Morris to Everyone : Thank you Tiffany! You are incredible and may God bless your work as you continue 13:41:19 From R E to Everyone : Thank you Jovencio.. 13:41:26 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to Everyone : Welcome, Courtney Leonard! Courtney M. Leonard is an artist and filmmaker, who has contributed to the Offshore Art movement. Leonard’s current work embodies the multiple definitions of "breach", an exploration and documentation of historical ties to water, whale and material sustainability. https://courtneymleonard.com/home.html | @courtneymleonardart What do you wish people would say when they introduce you that doesn’t get said? I honestly don’t know? I appreciate the opportunity, time, and space to be in relation with others. We only have so much time on this earth and so I hope to do the best I can. 13:42:02 From Leah Triplett Harrington to Everyone : I love these introductions…so personal and authentic. Thank you! 13:42:10 From Suzanne Hesh to Everyone : Excellent talk! This resonated with me, as a textile artist! 13:48:09 From carolina caceres to Everyone : Thank you for sharing these precious stories of memory and inspiration! 13:51:14 From Keren Lowell to Everyone : Thank you, Courtney. Lots to think about. 13:51:26 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to Everyone : Thank you so much, Courtney!!! 13:51:33 From R E to Everyone : Thank you all for sharing so personally. 13:51:57 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to Everyone : Welcome, Amy Meissner! Alaska artist Amy Meissner combines traditional handwork, found objects, and abandoned textiles to reference the literal, physical, and emotional work of women. Her social practice fosters a repair culture by teaching clothing and textile repair as an act of prolonging, care, and accompaniment of vulnerable objects in transition. She holds undergraduate degrees in both art and textiles, an MFA in Creative Writing, and is a Critical Craft Studies MA candidate (2021) researching the craft of repair in the Circumpolar North. https://www.amymeissner.com/ | @amymeissnerartist 13:52:04 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to Everyone : What do you wish people would say when they introduce you that doesn’t get said? ... at 17, a few clients consistently referred to me as the “alterations girl” at the atelier where I worked, and this infuriated me (as it would any teenager who thought she was a designer in 1988). However, ripping apart clothing and reconstructing it to fit better than before proved to be some of the most valuable and applicable craft-based learning I ever encountered. Repair, deconstruction, and reconstruction remains at the center of my practice. 13:52:27 From Kristin Mitsu Shiga (she/her) to Everyone : I am so sorry I have to leave before the program finishes (dang meetings!). Thank you do these wonderful object stories! 13:56:24 From American Craft Council to Rachel Messerich (she/her)(Direct Message) : I haven't heard a prompt to advance slides .. and there it was .. nvm 13:56:54 From iPhone to Everyone : Thanks to all for this enlightening program💗 13:56:57 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to American Craft Council(Direct Message) : Haha, I trust that they know what they're doing. And you're doing great too, Jason! Thank you. 14:01:29 From American Craft Council to Rachel Messerich (she/her)(Direct Message) : We're a good 10 minutes ahead of schedule 14:01:36 From Menokin _Alice French to Everyone : Thank you for these stories as my organization begins to review the stories, the objects and artifacts our site have to tell. I cannot stay for the end, but will follow through with the recording. These stories are inspirational, thoughtful and genuinely aware of the cultures they gather. I look forward to learning and sharing more with others. 14:01:56 From Keren Lowell to Everyone : Amy, so good to hear this story. 14:01:57 From Natalya Khorover to Everyone : Thank you Amy for your beautiful words. 14:02:05 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to American Craft Council(Direct Message) : I know! It's great. I told Namita that leaves a little more time for conversation if needed. I'll be in touch with her about when to close. 14:02:16 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to Everyone : Thank you so much, Amy!!! 14:02:25 From Anu Das to Everyone : Beautiful!! Thank you for sharing! 14:02:37 From R E to Everyone : Thank you Amy 14:03:33 From carolina caceres to Everyone : Thank you all for sharing your craft, your art, your story! 14:04:18 From Laura Petrovich-Cheney (she/her) to Everyone : so powerful to hear that story Amy. 14:04:35 From janewdeschner to Everyone : I hand-embroider on other people’s family photos. What connects us is that virtually everyone has these. 14:07:39 From wendy ellertson to Everyone : Appreciate the concept that all the stories are important- conjured up by the object .. history and heritage if we can.. but also validity of the object itself stirring a story fir the viewer,holder.. 14:10:10 From Catherine Kelly to Everyone : Marks are especially not visible to us through geology (millennia)..yet it is still there as a step within that ultimately leads to this moment/object, yes? 14:10:33 From Laura Petrovich-Cheney (she/her) to Everyone : Yes! You nailed it! objects so carry an energy that calls us to them! 14:10:59 From Namita Wiggers to Everyone : Apologies for any noise on my end - 14:11:07 From Dawn's iPad to Everyone : Oh my gosh, yes! Objects carry energy 14:12:22 From Liz Blodgett to Everyone : I love the idea of the "diviner" Sometimes words and descriptions aren't enough. 14:12:54 From wendy ellertson to Everyone : Yes- objects hold energy and power.. which is why we need to respect that and the objects we make and offer the world.. 14:15:18 From Keren Lowell to Everyone : Could you talk a little bit about loss and how an object can carry it or even heal it? 14:15:38 From Saloni Shrestha to Everyone : It’s been wonderful listening to all of you. Thank you 14:16:02 From Leah Triplett Harrington to Everyone : Thank you for this program! 14:19:11 From American Craft Council to Rachel Messerich (she/her)(Direct Message) : After Namita closes and the recording ends, would you like to invite everyone to turn their mic and cameras on, or end the meeting and close the room? 14:20:03 From Namita Wiggers to Everyone : Happy Birthday Courtney! 14:20:29 From Barbara Rydlander to Everyone : As an art historian, I treasure info from museum collections, especially relating to specific collections, indigenous peoples, and stories relating these from indigenous peoples rather than museum curators. 14:21:15 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to American Craft Council(Direct Message) : I think we can just close the program. I'm working with Namita to figure out a good way to close, so I'll hop in to formally close this out in the next few minutes. Does that make sense? 14:22:08 From American Craft Council to Rachel Messerich (she/her)(Direct Message) : That makes sense. I'm going to briefly share my screen to display the slide after you close, then end the recording, then end the meeting and the room will close for all. 14:22:28 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to American Craft Council(Direct Message) : Or did you mean for the participants? Cause I'm hoping folks will stick around a short bit to have a moment. 14:22:32 From Anu Das to Everyone : Thank you to all of you for sharing your stories!! 14:22:45 From American Craft Council to Rachel Messerich (she/her)(Direct Message) : No, it would be for everyone, including panelists 14:22:57 From American Craft Council to Rachel Messerich (she/her)(Direct Message) : We really don't have a way to segment that in Zoom 14:23:22 From Catherine Kelly to Everyone : Look at this group of 5 and imagine those of us beyond the screen. How rich is this tapestry….woven, threads, broken, cherished, repaired …. 14:23:25 From Liz Blodgett to Everyone : I'm thinking about artist Fred Wilson who goes into museums and presents the information--bringing objects out of dormancy and adding to the meaning of objects. 14:23:45 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to American Craft Council(Direct Message) : Okay, then I take it back. So sorry. I don't think we need to invite the attendees to turn on their cameras and join, but maybe a more natural exiting where folks can exist and the panelists can still be on. Does that make sense? 14:23:53 From American Craft Council to Rachel Messerich (she/her)(Direct Message) : Either can invite people to chat, or chat in front of whoever is left, or one-by-one click remove from meeting buttons to clear out stragglers 14:24:07 From Susan Feller to Everyone : Thank you for addressing the broader topic of objects, makers and communities. This finally feels right - beyond “history, art” including stories 14:24:25 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to American Craft Council(Direct Message) : I think that's fine, Jason! 14:24:25 From American Craft Council to Rachel Messerich (she/her)(Direct Message) : Cool. Will not just end the meeting then. Up to you if you want to remove stragglers one-by-one. 14:25:04 From American Craft Council to Rachel Messerich (she/her)(Direct Message) : I also have another meeting I need to jump to at 2:30, so might need to go and make you the meeting host on my way out. 14:25:09 From Libbie Stephenson to Everyone : The craft is with me, I am with the craft. 14:25:31 From Liz Blodgett to Everyone : I would love MORE of this-(could it be a series?) -introducing other crafts people and their relationship to objects, the importance of place, energy of objects. 14:25:40 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to American Craft Council(Direct Message) : Sounds good! You'll stop the recording when appropriate though, correct? 14:26:43 From American Craft Council to Rachel Messerich (she/her)(Direct Message) : Yes. I'm going to share my screen briefly to put the slide up at the end of the recording, end the recording, then stop share. 14:27:20 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to American Craft Council(Direct Message) : Sounds great! 14:27:31 From Sarah Kass to Everyone : Thank you all for sharing your stories, great conversation! 14:28:40 From Marie Lo (She/her) to Everyone : This was such a generative conversation. Thank you all for sharing your stories! 14:28:53 From orlad to Everyone : THANK YOU ALL!!! This has been amazing! 14:29:02 From D. Del Reverda-J to Everyone : Thank you all for this wonderful and insightful presentation !! 14:29:03 From Sha Sha Higby to Everyone : I love to make objects and then perform with them and sometimes feels like it turns into a form of unsaid ritual 14:29:54 From Sha Sha Higby to Everyone : Sort of like the Japanese tea ceremony repeats movements with the object 14:30:04 From cjoannegrabinski to Everyone : Thank you for stretching my mind to think differently about object and craft/art practice through the lens of craftscape vs. the more typical debate about craft vs. art. Joanne in Mt. Pleasant Michigan (ojibway/chippewa land) 14:31:10 From Andres Payan Estrada (he/him) to Everyone : Thank y’all! Link to a previous object story, thatI presented with Namita during the past ACC confrence https://www.instagram.com/p/B3h-OmwFMmk/?utm_medium=copy_link 14:31:20 From R E to Everyone : Great presentation! Thank you all for sharing....and providing such stimulating conversation. 14:31:25 From Rachel Messerich (she/her) to Everyone : Thanks for sharing this, Andres!!! 14:31:48 From Amy Tingle (she/her) to Everyone : Thank you all for your time and energies. This was a GREAT conversation. 14:32:03 From Natalya Khorover to Everyone : thank you for this conversation! 14:32:07 From Laura Petrovich-Cheney (she/her) to Everyone : THANK YOU! This was beautiful and so heartfelt!!!!!!!! 14:32:08 From Libbie Stephenson to Everyone : I love this idea of cyclical and histories of crafts. I often wonder what will happen to what I create. This has given me a perspective on how craft will live beyond my work. 14:32:10 From Cynthia to Everyone : I feel like the craftscape is a living organism. 14:32:15 From Rachael Arauz she/her to Everyone : Thank you, each of you, for a fascinating and important conversation. 14:32:23 From Liz Blodgett to Everyone : This made my day. Thank you all for your work, your research and your point of views. 14:32:23 From Helen Lee to Everyone : This was fantastic; thank you all! 14:32:28 From wendy ellertson to Everyone : Thank you all for a fascinating and thought provoking discussion. 14:32:31 From Andres Payan Estrada (he/him) to Everyone : Thank you Namita!!! <3 <3 <3 14:32:35 From Juliana Rowen Barton (she/her) to Everyone : Such a moving program! Thank you all! 14:32:41 From Melissa Johnson (she/her) to Everyone : Thank you so much for this! 14:32:42 From janewdeschner to Everyone : Thanks everyone! 14:32:48 From pattybenson to Everyone : This was so awesome! Thank you! 14:32:59 From Karen LeBlanc to Everyone : This was great. Thank you! 14:33:07 From Dawn Behrens to Everyone : Thank you! 14:33:11 From Chara to Everyone : Thank you for your stories and time!! 14:33:22 From Brenda Mallory to Everyone : a great bunch of thinkers and makers. thanks! 14:33:34 From Brianna Warren to Everyone : Thank you all so much! 14:33:47 From Liz James to Everyone : Thanks Everyone! 14:33:53 From Rebecca Wamsley to Everyone : Rich, thought -provoking, many layers. Thank you all. 14:33:55 From Thomas Orr to Everyone : Such a great discussion, thank you! 14:34:11 From Edna Madera to Everyone : Thank you!! ❤️ Lovely and inspiring. 14:34:26 From Maureen Rynn to Everyone : Thank you for expanding our perspective 14:34:34 From Jay Siegelaub to Everyone : Wonderful, thoughtful program. Such an important perspective. Thanks so much - to all of you, and Namita for her insightful initiative. 14:34:45 From Kenna Roberts to Everyone : Thank you 🙏🏻 very inspiring and thought provoking 14:34:48 From American Craft Council to Rachel Messerich (she/her)(Direct Message) : I need to run. Great program! Great job wrangling everyone. Please give my regards to everyone. 14:35:11 From Liz Blodgett to Everyone : I would love the students and members --Would any one of you be interested in sharing your work and stories via Zoom . 14:35:21 From Nancy Arthur McGehee to Everyone : So stimulating and delighted to have so many thoughts to digest, thank you!