00:40:45 Dellis Frank: Congratulations!!! 00:41:07 Ann Daniels: Wishing her an easy birth! 00:41:51 Dellis Frank: Honoring the Tongva 00:43:01 Ann Daniels: Honoring the Ohlone from their land 00:46:32 Melissa Lee: beautiful 00:46:56 lisalee: Love that! 00:50:37 Gwynne Rukenbrod Smith she/her: Amanda Lee is the Director of Brand Strategy & Sourcing at Nest. Nest is a nonprofit 501(c)(3) supporting the responsible growth and creative engagement of the artisan & maker economy to build a world of greater gender equity and economic inclusion. Through programs that support the wellbeing of artisans both in the United States and globally, Nest is bringing radical transparency and opportunity to the informal handworker economy. https://www.buildanest.org/ | @buildanest 00:51:37 urbanarchive: So thrilled to see the Pettway ladies!! 00:53:00 hlarson: Lovely women! ✨ 00:53:04 lisalee: Stella, Emma, and Mary Margaret, What an honor to be on this Zoom with you all! I saw your exhibit years ago at MFA in Boston, Massachusetts! 00:53:16 Melissa Lee: so wonderful to meet these women 00:53:34 Shimoda: 🌼😍 00:54:13 Dellis Frank: Amazing women!!! 00:54:59 Gee's Bend Quilters: Hello everyone! Thank you so much for joining! 00:55:33 Melissa Lee: hello Greg and Jonathan 00:55:50 Maureen Budetti: I have seen the work of the Gees Bend quilters in DC and Berkeley, CA. The quilts made in Berkeley during a special workshop were used to make large scale prints from the quilts themselves. From one form of beauty to another. 00:55:52 Bobby Brewer-Wallin: Calling in from Galway, Ireland. 00:55:53 lynne: YES! Best wishes for the newest creation 00:56:03 Lockhart: Hello fabulous Gees Bend Quilters you are amazing!!! 00:56:09 Gwynne Rukenbrod Smith she/her: Jonathan Michael Square is the Assistant Professor of Black Visual Culture at Parsons School of Design. He has taught at the University of Pennsylvania, Fashion Institute of Technology, and most recently Harvard University. He has a PhD from New York University, a M.A. from the University of Texas at Austin, and a B.A. from Cornell University. A proponent in the power of social media as a platform for radical pedagogy, he founded and runs the digital humanities project Fashioning the Self in Slavery and Freedom, which explores the intersection of fashion and slavery. While serving as a fellow in the Costume Institute, Square will work on a book manuscript on the same topic, tentatively titled Negro Cloth: How Slavery Birthed the Global Fashion Industry. https://www.jonathansquare.com/ | @stylesquared | @fashioningtheself 00:56:19 Gwynne Rukenbrod Smith she/her: Greg Lauren is an actor, artist, and fashion designer based in Los Angeles, California. After graduating with a degree in art history from Princeton, Greg went on to pursue an acting and art career that includes roles on The Young and the Restless, Friends & Family, A Time to Kill, and The Wedding Planner among others. In 2011, Greg opened his own fashion studio and launched his label. https://www.greglauren.com/ | @greglauren 00:56:29 Melissa Lee: 😍 00:56:34 Gwynne Rukenbrod Smith she/her: Webpage with all of the bios: https://www.craftcouncil.org/programs/forums/spring-2022 01:00:33 ds/la: www.linkedin.com/in/designsourcela 01:02:02 Randi Chalfin: What advise would you give young designers Randi Chalfin Poughkeepsie NY 01:02:33 Lockhart: Go ahead to share your wonderful story....Awesome wisdom!!! 01:02:43 Melissa Lee: fascinating 01:03:07 Constance C: This is so interesting! 01:03:08 urbanarchive: The work clothes quilts are beautiful memorials. 01:04:50 Linda Martin: I so appreciate this program but it is not long enough to cover the rich Gee’s Bend artistry. Thank you Gee’s Bend artists for persevering. 01:04:57 Dellis Frank: They embody intuitive art! 01:05:21 lisalee: YES!!! 01:05:48 urbanarchive: YAS!!! Green 01:06:00 lisalee: YESSSS! 01:06:04 Melissa Lee: I love Sumac red and Indigo blue 01:06:08 Valerie Palacios: I agree! I’d love to see them write a book to share more of their rich artistry and stories 01:06:24 Lockhart: Do you work as a group or solo.....You are speaking the truth!!! 01:06:34 Paula Cohen: Great idea: advocate for a book! 01:06:35 Valerie Palacios: As a group! 01:07:18 Gwynne Rukenbrod Smith she/her: There is a book called The Quilts of Gee’s Bend. beautifully done. 01:07:36 Paula Cohen: True, but a different approach 01:07:46 Gee's Bend Quilters: Both! Depending on the size of the quilt and the project. But mostly we work alone. Quilting is so therapeutic for us... 01:08:15 Gwynne Rukenbrod Smith she/her: And also Gee’s Bend: The Women and Their Quilts which does tell their stories. 01:08:35 urbanarchive: Accountability for inspiration is a beautiful thing 01:08:52 Lockhart: YeSSSSSSSSSS 01:08:56 lisalee: I love the remark about nature and its palette! I spoke similar words very recently! 01:09:20 Paula Gron: I have admired the Gees Bend quilters for years. It is so nice to see them start to prosper directly from their casual efforts to “make do”. As the daughter-in-law of an Italian immigrant who used scraps all the time in her quilts (she was on a farm in the US far away from a fabric store) even using feed sack fabric! Thank you for sharing! 01:09:57 Melissa Lee: I hope these women get compensated justly. 01:10:48 Rebecca Elliot: How many quilters are currently active in Gee's Bend? 01:10:51 Janice W.: Yes Greg 01:11:07 Precious Lovell: Well said Greg! 01:11:13 urbanarchive: Kudos to you for making the effort to do this correctly 01:12:37 Elise Tanner: Thank you all for your expertise and putting together this incredible presentation. 01:13:11 Melissa Lee: 👏 01:14:02 Ariele Elia: This is such a wonderful collaboration in an equitable and ethical manner! It sets a great example for design students. Thank you to the ladies of Gee’s Bend, Jonathan, and Greg for this conversation. 01:14:03 iPhone: Thank you to the women of Gee’s Bend! 01:14:08 Gee's Bend Quilters: Quilting is a part of life here! Almost everyone can quilt, but about 23 of us are actively working with Nest to get our art out into the world. 01:14:45 Rebecca Elliot: @Gee's Bend Quilters thank you! 01:15:09 Tangular Irby: I am so proud to be a Gee’s Bend legacy. To know that so many enjoy hearing our history. The things that my grandmothers, mothers, aunts and cousins have taught us throughout the years. I wish my grandmothers were here to share their own stories. The next generation needs to be their voices. I will continue to speak for them. Today’s generation has so many questions. I love visiting schools sharing my children’s books and our family legacy. I am so inspired by all that I am hearing and seeing today. So proud of the Gee’s Bend quilters on this call. Yes, RIP Cousin Minnie Mae. 01:15:38 Melissa Lee: Collaboration's 01:15:39 Precious Lovell: These women are true artists/artisans in every respect of the word! 01:15:40 urbanarchive: Go Mary Margaret!! 01:16:02 Melissa Lee: love this how old school 01:16:07 Gee's Bend Quilters: Hello @Tangular! Glad you could join! 01:16:09 Dianne Brenner: Do the quilters sign their work? I hope so. I am loving hearing this program and about the way you work. I so identify with it! Thank you. 01:16:53 Melissa Lee: love velvet and tweeds 01:17:28 Lockhart: Tell us about the garments behind Greg...…. 01:17:31 Tangular Irby: Hey! I am smiling ear to ear @Gee’s Bend Quilters! 01:17:34 urbanarchive: ❤️ 01:17:44 Melissa Lee: I have a Greg Lauren duster flannel jacket from 2015 01:17:59 Janice W.: OMG That's amazing. Recognition is so important. It's what the sustainable/ethical movement is fighting for! 01:18:24 Tamsin Wolff: Such a respectful collaboration - equal partnership - and not the appropriation of a culture and a people we have seen in past decades - like the 80’s 01:18:46 Melissa Lee: I grew up in Kansas and have quilts handed to me from my grandmother, whom parent’s were from Russian/Germany heritage. 01:18:49 Amanda Lee, Nest: Hi @Tangular - thanks for joining and thank for sharing! We are so glad we had a chance to work with Minnie (and Tinnie!), including this Mosaic collaboration with Greg. 01:18:56 Elise Tanner: Love the identity of the quilter in the jackets. These are pieces of art. 01:19:20 Precious Lovell: These are “designer” names I would be proud to wear! 01:19:48 Karen Hampton: YES! 01:19:52 Ann Daniels: I wish we could see more of the jackets, clothing, quilts 01:19:53 Valerie Palacios: YES! 01:19:55 urbanarchive: Awesome!! 01:19:57 Shenilla: Love that they sign them! 01:20:06 Diana Catalina Sanabria Leal’s iPhone: Fantastic 💕 01:20:14 Tamsin Wolff: That is beautiful. 01:20:20 Amy Wilderson / Amy A Jewelry: That's beautiful! 01:20:28 Valerie Palacios: What a beautiful collaboration, it makes me happy to see this! 01:20:41 J Grabinski: That is truly so wonderful to go to that extent to include the quilters personally in the garments. 01:20:43 Elise Tanner: Thank you all again.I can’t stay…but wish I could! 01:21:04 Karen Olson: Here’s a link to Jonathan’s story about this collaboration in American Craft. It includes photos of several garments! https://www.craftcouncil.org/magazine/article/beloved-patches-orange 01:21:21 Lockhart: Amazing collaboration...…….what a blessing!!! 01:22:35 Amy Wilderson / Amy A Jewelry: You all definitely deserve it all - revenue and recognition. I am smiling and crying tears of joy hearing from you all directly. 01:23:01 lisalee: It will talk, won’t it?! 01:23:08 urbanarchive: Being inspired by fabric…. 01:23:11 Valerie Palacios: To a true artist it will 01:23:31 Lockhart: Yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss 01:23:32 Valerie Palacios: I love hearing about their artistic process and vision 01:23:40 Melissa Lee: So happy to hear someone talking about how God is in everything including the pieces of fabric 01:23:50 Tangular Irby: @Amanda When I saw the event posted. I had to be here. This is amazing! It will be hard to go back to Gee’s Bend to visit and not see them both. It was always one of the highlights of the visit. 01:24:55 Mo Regulinski: It is so awesome to hear the artistic process the Gee’s Bend artists use to make their beautiful quilts. 01:25:08 Lauren (she/her): I'm so grateful to be here listening to the story of this collaboration. I've had chills since the entire time :) 01:25:17 Linda Martin: God has knitted Greg Lauren with the artists of Gee’s Bend and we are benefitting from the patchwork. Are there any men at Gee’s Bend who have become quilters? 01:27:39 Tangular Irby: Reminds me of stories I have heard about elders who worked at the Freedom Quilting Bee in Gee’s Bend or going from house to house to help each other make quilts. 01:27:47 Rubie's iPhone: I hear these women share and I am sooo blessed. This is how we live…in community , conversations, and love of craft. They and the Gees Bend quilters deserve this. Their Southern defections are mine too from rural Va. Family. 01:28:38 Melissa Lee: i agree, with our heart energy 01:28:50 Jenn Sawin: Hearing how the community works together, how did COVID affect the quilting activity in Gees Bend? 01:29:35 urbanarchive: Beautifully said Greg 01:30:01 Melissa Lee: Just like good parenting 01:30:02 Amy Wilderson / Amy A Jewelry: Decentering. I'm so glad you said that, Greg. 01:30:14 Tamsin Wolff: Are the pieces we are seeing “prototypes” and if so - what are the pieces sold like - a new fabric manufactured or are they are pieced with the same fabrics that Gees Bend worked with. 01:30:26 Diana Catalina Sanabria Leal’s iPhone: Absolutely it’s an example. It has to be that way. Collaboration with others in a decent way. 01:30:29 Sarah Kass (she, her): Absolutely agree, take the time to learn from others instead of just being inspired by their work. 01:31:14 Gee's Bend Quilters: Thankfully COVID did not impact our community as severely as some others. We were very careful, and traveled less to the nearby towns...but life continued. We are thankful for that! 01:31:39 Tangular Irby: Very thankful! 01:31:54 Karen: 🥰 01:32:15 Melissa Lee: Would love to see the shoes 01:32:34 Rebecca Elliot: How do you go from panels to garments? Do the quilters have input on what their panels will be made into? Apologies if this was already answered. 01:32:37 Barbara Gifford: what role does sustainability play in the collaboration? 01:32:39 Lauren.Breitbarth: I am curious about your process. Greg, do the quilts inform your designs? Or do the Gee's Bend artists create the quilts/panels already knowing what they will go into? 01:34:37 Pat Baugh: I just love that the cooperation didn’t become a personless commercial endeavor. It’s so important to preserve the Gee’s Bend history and to allow the individual artists to “do their own thing” - also preserving the designs. Mutual respect is definitely the key. And thank you for the art expanding to clothing and fashion. I first heard of Gee’s Bend Quilts while on vacation in Halifax, Nova Scotia. At the Art Museum there, they displayed some of the gorgeous quilts and had a rolling video about the ladies, their families, their community and their work. I was mesmerized and have since used their story on mission trips. Bless y’all! 01:34:41 Gee's Bend Quilters: In Gee's Bend, we believe fabric has life and we use it until that life is over, then give it back to the Earth by burning it. We have practiced sustainability and upcycling all our lives! LOL! 01:34:55 Melissa Lee: Sublime 01:35:29 Melissa Lee: do the ladies wear any of their work you have made into cloths 01:35:56 Tangular Irby: I did not know about the practice of burning old quilts. 01:35:58 sallyjackson: were the indigo-dyed pieces dyed before being sewn and quilted or after? 01:36:11 Shenilla: Interesting, thinking about the cut or mark and the color as separate things. Love that dialogue 01:37:03 Karen Olson: Yes!!!! 01:37:08 Lauren (she/her): that's so exciting :) 01:37:28 Melissa Lee: I feel a lot of soul here. 01:37:42 Mariah Moon: 👏👏👏🥲😅🤩So proud of and moved by you beautiful, creative women of Gee’s Bend and your improvisational and meaningful quilt work, and by the honorable and ethical collaboration that you, Greg Lauren, have pioneered. Bravo!!! 01:37:46 Gee's Bend Quilters: @Tangular, yes! If it gets old and molded or mildewy, we burn it! 01:37:57 Susan Goodwin: will the proceeds from all Gee's Bend/ Greg Lauren collaborations continue to go to the community? And does this go through the SDG foundation? 01:38:30 Melissa Lee: Hi Greg, how has your Uncle respond to your work in the fashion and art industry 01:39:16 lisalee: What is that conversation like, when an Artist agrees to wear a Designer’s work? How does one reach a ‘Quest Love’? 01:39:28 Dianne Brenner: How do you "recruit" the young people to teach them quilting? And then do you work together for awhile or do they go off on their own once they know how to do it? 01:39:29 Melissa Lee: Do you often wear your clothing. 01:39:41 hlarson: Picking up on what Gee’s Bend shared earlier, I thought it was wonderful to hear “if your heart is in it, whatever color is going to be beautiful”.. can be applied so well to life. Thank you ladies, thank you everyone. 01:39:56 salley: This makes me think of the brilliant cretonne designer Lois Mailou Jones. She wanted her name known as a pattern designer. Check her out. 01:40:21 Whitney Richardson: Is each piece unique? Or once the quilters and Greg settled on a pattern they both liked, was it used again and again? 01:40:25 Ann Daniels: Thank you! It's hard not to be self-critical and compare to other people! 01:40:37 lisalee: Yes! It’ll find its audience! 01:41:37 Amy M: Could you show more visual examples of the artists’ quilts? 01:45:09 Gwynne Rukenbrod Smith she/her: To see more Gee’s Bend Quilts and to purchase one for yourself checkout: https://www.etsy.com/featured/gees-bend 01:47:44 Kurma Murrain: 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾 01:47:52 Dianne Brenner: How often does a quilter finish a quilt? That is, how long does it usually take to complete one? Do you work on one at a time or several? 01:48:41 valerie radford cox: Thank you for sharing this process; very moving and inspiring. 01:49:23 Ann Morton: I want to tell Stella that I purchased one of her quilts in 2007 at the Gees Bend Quilt Collective in Boyton. So happy to “meet” you! 01:49:25 Joy Light: It’s wonderful to see your project add modern relevance to hand work. As an independent artist and designer, this conversation has been very encouraging. 01:51:44 lisalee: YES!!! The quilts made of ripped pieces are my favorite of your work! 01:51:56 Melissa Lee: Super cool!! 01:52:08 Joy Light: Seeing into the creative community through todays zoom is especially heartwarming 💕 01:53:28 Linda Howell: Do you plan your idea before you start or does it evolve as you go? 01:54:44 Lockhart: For this collaboration, were the quilts hand stitched or machine quilted? 01:55:53 Gee's Bend Quilters: Mostly machine stitched, but some were handstitched... 01:56:33 Melissa Lee: I am inspired to buy from this collaboration 01:56:39 lisalee: What is that conversation like, when an Artist agrees to wear a Designer’s work? How does one reach a ‘Quest Love’? 01:56:45 Jo Kallal: This has been a fabulous program. I have been following both the Gee’s Bend quilters and Greg Lauren for many, many years. I’ve loved learning about your creative processes and am inspired to shake up my own process. Thank you! 01:56:46 hlarson: Lynn Sandor, you are getting unmuted somehow! 01:57:00 J Grabinski: Thank you ALL for this inspiring and beautiful program! 01:57:01 Liz Fenster (she/her): Will the recording be available to share with others? 01:57:15 Dianne Brenner: This has been GREAT. Thank you to the Gee's Bend Quilters and the rest of you who made this program possible! 01:57:23 Precious Lovell: Thank you to everyone! Wonderful conversation! 01:57:24 Marissa Stevenson: This was wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing your process and story with us. 01:57:25 Karen: Thank you for a wonderful talk 01:57:26 Whitney Richardson: Thank you! 01:57:28 Barbara Gifford: 👏👏👏👏👏 01:57:29 Karen Olson: The recording will be on the ACC website in the near future! 01:57:36 Constance C: One of the best presentation I’ve enjoyed! 01:57:36 Carolyn Gutjahr: Thanks for this great program. I look forward to seeing more of the collaboration. 01:57:39 Katie Hess: Thank you thank you Gee’s Bend Quilters!!! So so inspiring 💗 01:57:51 Amy Wilderson / Amy A Jewelry: Thank you! This was a wonderful discussion. 01:58:01 Liz Fenster (she/her): Thank you! This was a fabulous program. You are all an inspiration. 01:58:04 Linda Howell: Thank you!😊 01:58:16 judy jones: Wonderful program and inspiration for collaborating. The work is beautiful. 01:58:20 Jill’s iPad: Beautiful and inspiring thank you for sharing 01:58:24 Rhonda Dorsey-Prude: I have enjoyed this Zoom Conversation. Thank you to the ladies and Greg Lauren❗️🎉💐💕👏🏾 01:58:28 Dellis Frank: 🥰 Thank you!!! 01:58:36 Lockhart: Awesome presentation...The energy was off the chain whst talented artists.....Such a Blessings. 01:58:43 GE Patterson: Thank you to the each of the speakers & all of the artists of Gee’s Bend. 01:58:43 Roberta J Lutgens: Thank you to all. Hugs, Love, Peace. 01:58:46 Susan Feller: The best presentation I have experienced thank you for the voices and stories 01:58:46 Lindsey: This was wonderful, thank you all! 01:58:48 Linda Howell: So many people talk about the creative influence in other mediums 01:58:49 Judith’s iPad: Terrific, inspirational program. Thanks 01:58:52 Lauren (she/her): Thank you all! I am so grateful to witness this conversation and the amazing artwork you all created 01:58:53 Carolyn Gutjahr: I am a long-time fan of the Gee’s Bend quilters, so it is great to see what you are doing now. 01:58:54 3 - Michelle Bishop, Harlem Needle Arts: Thank you. 01:58:55 Tamsin Wolff: Incredible forum Thank you all 01:59:09 Melissa Lee: Super wonderful zoom session with everyone, including Greg, and the Gee’s Bank artist’s. 01:59:12 Tamsin Wolff: Yes - the article drove me to this - it’s wonderful 01:59:12 Mariah Moon: Deep gratitude to each person and the groups who put this together, and to all who shared today. 01:59:13 Dianne Brenner: Could you ask the ladies how far back in history this tradition goes in their community and is it primarily within families that the teaching and tradition goes on? 01:59:14 Barbara Gifford: Thank you! 01:59:17 Damianne: Amazing to think a flat quilt can be a 3d piece. 01:59:18 judy jones: Thank you ACCor this program 01:59:23 Nancy Hines: Best zoom conversation since I learned what zoom is! Thank you all!!!